Dethatching is an extremely dirty, messy process of removing the thatch and loosening the top soil. The machines used are noisy and heavy. If done incorrectly it can take a long time for the grass to recover. It also produces a lot of waste material that needs to be removed. It is possible to do this yourself however it is probably more cost effective to contact us for a free quote.
Generally De-thatching should be as needed . It is extremely stressful to the grass and therefore should only be attempted during Spring and early summer. Proper watering, mowing and fertilizing and regular lawn aeration can prevent
De-Thatching has the following advantages.
Lawn aeration is the process of making holes in the lawn by extracting a small plug of thatch and soil to improve soil aeration. It is more commonly known as “core aeration” in the lawn service industry.
Other words used to describe this process that you may have heard used are coring and spiking. Lawn aeration is a less stressful to a lawn than detaching but needs to be done more often, generally at least once a year. Aerating a lawn has the following benefits to your lawn and its root system.
· Improves the air exchange between soil and the atmosphere.
· Improves the turf’s root system
· Reduces water wastage by runoff and puddling
· Enhances the ability of the soil to absorb more water.
· Improves fertilizer uptake.
· Reduces soil compaction
· Improves the turf’s heat and drought stress tolerance
· Enhances thatch breakdown.